Five reasons why I feel Andhra Pradesh should not be divided:
- If a separate state is given for every region whose people feel they are neglected,we will have thousands of states. Apparently there are 67+ separate state movements in India. If Telangana becomes separate state it'll give impetus for all these movements and it'll result in pandemonium in our parliament.
- There is an allegation that Andhra people are coming to Telangana and taking their rightful jobs. People are forgetting that in this cut-throat corporate world if you have talent you'll be lapped up. Maybe so called Andhra people who are in good positions in Hyderabad deserve it. Nobody is stopping Telangana people from coming to Seemandhra or Coastal Andhra and make a living. Infact in Vizag I have seen lot of mallu junta, marvadis and even Telangana people coexisting peacefully. Only difference we don't feel Telangana people as somebody different.We see them as one among us.
- The most ridiculous allegation I heard is that Andhra people mock the way Telanganites speak telugu. American people are amused by the accent of Britishers. It doesn't mean that their English is better or that they don't have respect for Britishers. It is natural that one finds it amusing when people speak differently from what they are used to. My father studied in Telangana and has lots of friends there. Whenever he meets his college friends he effortlessly slips into Telangana accent. I have never seen him mocking the way they speak. In fact he chided me once for making fun of their way of speaking and explained to me that different regions have different dialects.People from other region will find my way of speaking laughable when I go to their region.
- Even if separate Telangana is formed Hyderabad will remain a metropolitan city like Mumbai.Most Andhra people go to only Hyderabad. So I don't understand how it'll help Telangana people unless they plan to forcefully drive away other state people. As they can't stop other state people from coming to Hyderabad, maybe they'll start agitation for separate country then.
- I don't believe that their leaders are spearheading this movement for welfare of people. Most leaders supporting this movement have personal interest in their mind. Education is one of the most important thing in our life. Anybody who incites students to violence and make them lose focus on their studies doesn't have welfare of society as his motto. If only these students put the same efforts in studies I am sure they'll get jobs not just in Hyderabad, but anywhere in the world.
After hearing about the extreme measures some Telangana activists are taking,I feel that eventually separate state will be given. But for me nothing will change, my friends from Telangana will still remain my friends. Indians are already fighting among themselves over various differences. Muslims vs Hindus, North Indians vs South Indians, SC's & ST's vs OC's, Telugu vs Tamil etc. How many more differences do we need?
P.S. : This is some crap written by me. I am sure there are many valid reasons for people wanting to have separate Telangana. I came across this wonderful answer in quora listing all the pros and cons of having separate state. http://www.quora.com/India/What-are-pros-and-cons-of-carving-out-another-state-of-Telengana