Skip to main content

Sanctity of My Opinion

Don't know if anybody else noticed but I feel that sometimes we form an opinion and collect data(read articles,watch videos,discuss with others) that solidify our opinions. It's an old trick employed in lab experiments by students in general, discarding data that is contradicting the theory and logging only the data that supports the theory given. This is what we do in most cases.

Did Man Land on Moon: This is what got me thinking about how people tend to read articles conforming to their opinions. Ever since I read that man landing on moon is a hoax, I got interested in it and read a lot of info, saw various videos and googled a lot of sites that proved that it is hoax. I believed that man never landed on moon  and NASA is fooling all of us(reading 'Deception Point' by Dan Brown didn't help much). But once I accidentally reached a site which refutes the arguments made by hoax theorists and I found that there is lot more evidence that shows that man did land on moon.

Origin of Bible: Modern scholarship has shown that parts of Bible are almost certainly inaccurate for one simple reason . They passed down through generations, not by written words, but by word of mouth - a notoriously unreliable means of communication. Now there are tons of material question the authority of Bible and the Church (I believe there are also tons of material detailing questionable stands taken by the Church at various times in History). But then Bible is the most sold book and there are even more books on faith in Church.There are people who believe that one goes to hell if one is not a Christian. Even if a devout Christian comes across the scientific explanations questioning the accuracy of Bible,his faith will be restored after hearing a sentence by some Father which goes something like this "Absolute faith in the reality in God and Jesus Christ is essential to us all.But,equally we must have strength to retain our faith when it is tested,as occurs so often in our lifetimes."
Article claiming that Bible is Corrupt
Article claiming that Bible isn't Corrupt

Assassination of John F. Kennedy: This is a hot topic for many conspiracy theorists. I just came across an article that listed fifteen possible theories on who killed Kennedy. There are lots of books written on this topic. Depending on what you tend to believe, you can get clues and pointers supporting that theory.

I am not sure how the first inclinations begin.But once an opinion sets in, it is difficult to reason with you even if your opinion is most unreasonable one. Quoting from Inception What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.  This is true even for opinions too - at least the resilient part. In my opinion Dravid is better than Sachin, man didn't land on moon, SRK is the best entertainer,Harry Potter is the best series etc etc... but am I sure about it? I don't know.

P.S. : I am not endorsing any opinion about the three topics mentioned in this blog-post. This is my opinion on sanctity of our opinions :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I hate Dhoni?

Recently Dhoni has been taking a lot of heat for his poor performance in Tests abroad (both as batsman and as captain), his differences with Sehwag, his handling of seniors in general etc. I am sure everybody will start kissing his feet if he wins the T-20 world cup again. But somehow I find it hard to appreciate Dhoni or rejoice in his success . Maybe I hate him because he has an unorthodox method to cricket. His helicopter shot is one of the most unpicturesque shot ever. His batting doesn't have that touch of magic that Dravid or Sachin have. But this cannot be the reason as I loved his batting before he became captain. Well maybe I don't like the fact that he defies all logic and plays like a buffoon converting easy winners into nail biting finishes . But he can be forgiven for that because in-spite of giving tense moments to the fans he manages to steer the team to victory most of the time. I should rather say that I enjoy those close matches (only if India win

Is it time to say no for Reservation?

Recently, government announced it's plans to amend the Constitution to enable reservations in promotions in government jobs . As usual those who are against it say promotion should be based on merit and that SC and ST candidates are having more than enough privileges, while those who are for it cite some isolated incidents of harijans being mistreated  and argue that there is still a lot to be done for their upliftment. My personal opinion is that reservation at any level is not good . Effort should be made to give the same quality of education to backward junta as the city bred students have access to. But I know that it is impractical in India considering the motivation level of most government employed teachers. We have to remember that the purpose of reservation is to mould our society into an ideal society where reservation is not required . But with the present reservation system one can never be sure about when to stop it(the reservation system). So I have this id

Introspection

It has been an interesting journey for me after I got my B.Tech degree. I have been living in Hyderabad and preparing for civil services ever since. I believe I developed as a person and my perspectives have grown broader during these 4-5 months. My views on leaders: I used to have a heavily skewed perception of our leaders. In primary school we are taught  that great leaders like Gandhi, Nehru, Tilak etc. are awesome. In secondary school and teenage years we learn about the flaws of these great men. Believe me when I learned as a kid that Chacha Nehru smokes cigarettes and most probably had an illicit affair with Lady Mountbatten, my heart was broken and I started positively hating him. Finally when I reconciled with the truth that all these leaders are just humans with flaws and started reading about these leaders again I realized their contributions to the society. I understood that their greatness does not lie in their virtuosity but on the great impact they had on the socie