Skip to main content

We are not blood thirsty

I was little surprised to see some letters condemning the execution of Kasab in today's Hindu editorial. I came across an article labelling us as 'blood thirsty' for rejoicing his death. It is just a typical case of going against the grain without merit for more attention.



We are definitely not blood thirsty because death sentence is imposed only in ' rarest of rare' cases in India. Massacre of 150 innocent people definitely qualifies as a 'rarest of rare' case. Hanging of Kasab is not act of revenge as claimed by some. He is given a fair trail including the right to appeal against the sentence. Despite pressure from various political parties and the growing restlessness of people over the delay in sentence, it took four years to convict this terrorist. This is the testimony to the fact that this is not an act of revenge.

Some people claim that nothing has been achieved by hanging Kasab. This has not eradicated the threat of terrorists etc. I just feel like saying if you have any practical solution to eradicate terrorism,please share with others. People are dying to know. Maybe these people would be happy if we keep Kasab alive and treat him like a VIP.(I still can't believe that government has spent over 40 crores on Kasab.)

Article on reaction from kin of 26-11 victims.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I hate Dhoni?

Recently Dhoni has been taking a lot of heat for his poor performance in Tests abroad (both as batsman and as captain), his differences with Sehwag, his handling of seniors in general etc. I am sure everybody will start kissing his feet if he wins the T-20 world cup again. But somehow I find it hard to appreciate Dhoni or rejoice in his success . Maybe I hate him because he has an unorthodox method to cricket. His helicopter shot is one of the most unpicturesque shot ever. His batting doesn't have that touch of magic that Dravid or Sachin have. But this cannot be the reason as I loved his batting before he became captain. Well maybe I don't like the fact that he defies all logic and plays like a buffoon converting easy winners into nail biting finishes . But he can be forgiven for that because in-spite of giving tense moments to the fans he manages to steer the team to victory most of the time. I should rather say that I enjoy those close matches (only if India win

Is it time to say no for Reservation?

Recently, government announced it's plans to amend the Constitution to enable reservations in promotions in government jobs . As usual those who are against it say promotion should be based on merit and that SC and ST candidates are having more than enough privileges, while those who are for it cite some isolated incidents of harijans being mistreated  and argue that there is still a lot to be done for their upliftment. My personal opinion is that reservation at any level is not good . Effort should be made to give the same quality of education to backward junta as the city bred students have access to. But I know that it is impractical in India considering the motivation level of most government employed teachers. We have to remember that the purpose of reservation is to mould our society into an ideal society where reservation is not required . But with the present reservation system one can never be sure about when to stop it(the reservation system). So I have this id

Introspection

It has been an interesting journey for me after I got my B.Tech degree. I have been living in Hyderabad and preparing for civil services ever since. I believe I developed as a person and my perspectives have grown broader during these 4-5 months. My views on leaders: I used to have a heavily skewed perception of our leaders. In primary school we are taught  that great leaders like Gandhi, Nehru, Tilak etc. are awesome. In secondary school and teenage years we learn about the flaws of these great men. Believe me when I learned as a kid that Chacha Nehru smokes cigarettes and most probably had an illicit affair with Lady Mountbatten, my heart was broken and I started positively hating him. Finally when I reconciled with the truth that all these leaders are just humans with flaws and started reading about these leaders again I realized their contributions to the society. I understood that their greatness does not lie in their virtuosity but on the great impact they had on the socie